Sunday, February 6, 2011

Patriot(s) in the Super Bowl???

I, along with the rest of Americans, patriotically watched the Super Bowl this afternoon. What's the patriotic bit got to do with it, you ask? Good question. I tuned in hoping to watch Danica Patrick commercials and an introduction to a new flavor of Doritos (if that's possible). Oh, and also catch some football. Instead I was treated to a full course meal of propaganda, that I duly pointed out in a Georgetown bar (Shouting - PROP-A-GAN-DA), whereafter all the DHS-types glared angrily in my direction.

The opening prelude to the game was a reading of the Declaration of Independence that incorporated both NFL teams, the commissioner, and all branches of the military. Even so called "hero" (insert me vomiting) Colin Powell was solemnly repeating the sacred words to a nation he helped weaken.

It was a not-so-subtle approach to propaganda, one where obedience, acquiescence and patriotism is rammed down the American consumer. Score one PD point, big time. The government must've worked collaboratively to pull this one off, noting that the Super Bowl in this nation is more important than Election Day and therefore viewership rivaled an American Idol finale.

From a PD standpoint, the U.S. scored major points by finding a way to make football correlate with revering soldiers. Quite bizzare really, but that's the incessant message we've been fed our whole lives, so most wouldn't find anything objectionable, or new in tonight's rendition. Very, very sad. We're all victims of this propaganda, but most people I was with unsurprisingly asked the question I was dreading (c'mon they're smarter than that) most....

Wait...how is that propaganda? At which point I called for another round.

2 comments:

  1. The "ad," or whatever it was, equating the Superbowl game with WWII, the struggles of the Great Depression and the fight for women's suffrage and civil rights that aired right before the game drove me crazy. Not even close to any of those things and definite propaganda. Although I wasn't sure what for. Football? The US? Both I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was super surprised by the ad as well. I've already come to accept that a certain amount of patriotism is unavoidable here in the States, but the reading of the Declaration of Independence was a new benchmark. Like Katie I wasn't sure what the connection between the ad and the football game or even the sport in general. My friend who's from the U.A.E went to a Superbowl party in London and I'd be curious to hear what people watching the Superbowl abroad thought of the ad. I assume the makers probably didn't worry about how this could be construed as a PD item but it probably just reinforces the stereotype that Americans have an inflated sense of self.

    ReplyDelete